Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Prepare for Everything and Expect Nothing in Return (and other quotes that will destroy your self-esteem)

It occurred to me the other day that my self-esteem has reached such a low point that any compliment regarding my sense of humor/ intelligence will elate me for the rest of the day. That is, until my inevitable slip up concerning anything whatsoever, in which I will spend the rest of the day in my own little corner of despair.
( I did warn you about my habit of naming things in a dramatic manner. It will only get worse from here).

In my habit of over thinking things, I realized that most compliments I received were due to self-bashing in public, resulting in a positive, polite disagreement.

Case in Point #1: Loony: I feel absolutely disgusting today.
Person in near Vicinity: Why? You look great!
Loony: Thank you.

Which, in some cases is a valid compliment. In others, it is merely a polite and mannered comment, for nodding in agreement will get you shunned for being an asshole.

It is a rare experience for me, thus, to receive a positive remark without such a comment.

Case in Point #2: Loony: *makes an off-handed comment she doesn't find very witty*
PinV: *laughs* Why the hell are you so funny?
Loony: *does not show her complete and utter elation to this compliment, and spends the rest of the day in a good mood until she tries talking and ends up speaking gibberish instead during Chemistry*

. . .
Yeah.

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way sometimes
    sometimes it helps to compliment yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, we're all the same way. It's not that your self-esteem is low, it's the truth that everyone adores compliments. Besides, you do much to deserve them, so hey, why shouldn't you feel good about the ones about your charm? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or lack-thereof XD

    Thanks, you two :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way a lot of the time. Sometimes, I feel like I'm fishing for compliments. But it happens to everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete